EXERCISE: The Six Word Cover Letter
(This is from my supervisor, Mike Masten.)
For this exercise try to boil your cover letter for the job of your dreams down to six words. I am a firm believer that less is often more. A few points well made, that stick with the listener, is better than a hundred good points that blend into one indistinguishable oleo.
The goal of your six word cover letter is to make your story irresistible to the interviewer(s). No matter who else they interview, they will be compelled to take a look at you! Here are some examples:
– Tall buildings in a single bound!
– I just do it every day.
– I will be missed when gone.
– Just think, you coulda had me!
– Don’t ask why, ask why not?
– Work hard, play hard, no lard.
Here’s mine: I AM WOMAN…HEAR ME ROAR!!!
- The power of “I AM” (aviewfromsandieland.com)