A jobseeker who had attended one of my workshops sent me a list of the benefits of hiring “more mature” workers, and I thought I’d like to share this. Thanks to Sharon Hollen for this list.
Benefits of “most” over 50 workers:
- Can go all day without looking at cell phone (other than lunch time.)
- Empty nest—kids are a large source of lost work time
- Wealth of experience = self sufficiency and practical solutions (been there, done that)
- Less likely to be involved in an office romance
- Strong work ethic
- Healthier and more tech savvy than many give credit for
- Better chance of owning reliable transportation
- Values proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Being “set in your ways” is a myth…at least for anyone who “needs” to be employed!
- Not a risk taker when it comes to safety and compliance
- Won’t call in with an excuse after the Super Bowl etc., after excessive partying.
What other benefits can you contribute?
- Majority of Workers Plan to Work After Retiring, CareerBuilder Survey Finds (Video) (examiner.com)
- Working … The New Retirement (livescience.com)
- More older workers plan to keep working (upi.com)